Large Leaderboard

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day 9 Saturday May 4, 2013

Day 9

Saturday May 4, 2013

I arrived in Zacatecas Friday afternoon. The trip was about 200 miles and took about five hours. It is going to take a while to get used to driving down here. The rules are just different and it is important to understand the rules....it's kind of like the language, it really helps to understand it. The difference is you will not get run over for not understanding what someone is saying.

The traffic was horrible through Zacatecas and I was just trying to survive and got past the old city center before realizing my mistake and stopped at the first hotel I found. It was the Plaza Hotel and a room was $420 pesos....that was over my budget....I took the room, site unseen.

This morning at 9:00 am I took a taxi and went hostel hunting in the old city. After checking out the Hostal Villa Colonial for $200 pecos I took it and moved into town....so to speak. There is much history here and much to see. I could stay here for several days or more.

It is just a short walk from the hostel to the Cathedral which is in the center of old city. I went to the Museo Pedro Coronal....it was really good.....they had about 15 of Pablo Picasso's works, both sketches and oils.

I am staying in the white building next to the green one....you can just see the plants on the terrace.

A shot from the terrace.

 The Plaza....the Palace is on the right.








 Another church...the Museo Pedro Coronel is up the stairs to the left.

 This is the only shot I was allowed inside the museum. Many of these books are 400+ years old.










 I met an artist from Chicago who had a showing here....one of his more interesting peaces.

This guy was great fun and he speaks good american.

No comments: