Large Leaderboard

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Day 23 Saturday May 18, 2013

Day 23

Saturday May 18, 2013

In one of my earlier posts from Guanajuato I had told of the bronze statues and images of Don Quixote that are all over the city and I would let you know when I found out the connection. Well today I went to the Museum Iconografico del Quixote, and it is devoted almost exclusively to paintings and sculptors of "The Don". The city of Guanajuato hosts an international festival for two weeks each October. The International Cervantes Festival is held every year in Guanajuato. The Cervantes primarily serves to celebrate the contributions of Miguel de Cervantes to the culture of Mexico, although in recent years it has become a celebration of artists and artistic movements as a whole. So Don Quixote has been the official host for the festival since it's founding and a symbol of the citys heritage.

A few more shots of The Don.

The Don himself having a coffee in the Jardin del Union.

The Don adorns the city busses of Guanajuato.

A few shots from the museum.

I was quite amused while going through the museum thinking that I, a 62 year old man wondering around Latin America on a motorcycle, might be viewed as a Don Quixote of sorts.....?......Oh well.








No comments: