Large Leaderboard

Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 79 Friday July 12, 2013

It has been a couple of weeks since my last post. I spent most of that time on the Pacific Coast in the state of Oaxaca. I took a nice rest from traveling and just stayed in one place. I am now in the city of Oaxaca. I arrived yesterday and plan to stay here for at least a week. My daughter is shipping me some supplies next week. Many of the items that can be picked up or can be delivered in a day or two in the States are just not readily available here. I hope that this package passes through customs and can be delivered in a timely fashion.

Oaxaca, the state and city, have held my interest since I started learning about Mexico. It is located in Southwestern Mexico. It is bordered by the states of Guerrero to the west, Puebla to the northwest, Veracruz to the north, Chiapas to the east. To the south, Oaxaca has a significant coastline on the Pacific Ocean.

The state is best known for its indigenous peoples and cultures. The most numerous and best known are the Zapotecs and the Mixtecs, but there are sixteen that are officially recognized. These cultures have survived better than most others in Mexico due to the state’s rugged and isolating terrain. Most live in the Central Valleys region, which is also an important area for tourism, attracting people for its archeological sites such as Monte Albán, native culture and crafts. Another important tourist area is the coast, which has the major resort of Huatulco. Oaxaca is also one of the most biologically diverse states in Mexico, ranking in the top three, along with Chiapas and Veracruz, for numbers of reptiles, amphibians, mammals and plants.

These are some photos from the beach. When I arrived the waves were about 12 to 15 feet high. Over the period of a day they grew to 25 to 30 feet high.











The view from my balcony.


These photos are from Puerto Angel.



Thursday afternoon in the main plaza in Oaxaca.





No comments: