Large Leaderboard

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Day 170 Saturday October 12, 2013

I arrived in San Ignacio Thursday afternoon after a 3 1/2 hour ride from Corozel. I was lucky enough to just skirt a thunderstorm that I had been watching for half an hour...a couple of big drops is all the bike and I got.

San Ignacio serves as the capital of Cayo District. It got its start from Mahogany and chicle production during British rule. It began to attract different people from the surrounding areas, which led to the diverse population of the town at present day. The town was originally named El Cayo by the Spanish. On October 19, 1904, El Cayo was officially declared a town by the government of British Honduras.

Upon arriving in San Ignacio I made one loop around the heart of town...turned down just one wrong way street and ducked into the RainForest Inn undetected.  This is where the bike and I will stay while here.

The RainForest Inn.

Friday morning I walked from my hotel to the Cahal Pech Mayan ruin site. The site was a palatial, hilltop home for an elite Maya family, and though most major construction dates to the Classic period, evidence of continuous habitation has been dated as far back as 1200 BC during the Early Middle Formative period (Early Middle Preclassic), making Cahal Pech one of the oldest recognizable Maya sites in Western Belize.

My tour Friday morning was very peaceful...no tour guide and I was the only visitor there.
















No comments: